The Wisconsin Medical Society Foundation has awarded $207,500 in scholarships to 54 students for the 2019-2020 school year. These awards are made possible by physicians and families generously giving back to support and encourage the next generation of medical professionals.
All applications are reviewed by the Foundation’s Scholarship Committee, which carefully weighs each applicant’s financial need, community involvement and personal story to find the best match between deserving students and the qualities that each scholarship fund seeks to encourage and reward.
Each recipient of a scholarship and the physician who wrote their letter of support receives a “legacy page” telling the story of the donor who made their award possible.
After receiving notice of being awarded an Edmund J. and Estelle D. Walker Scholarship, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Population Health student Emily Sheveland wrote to the trustees of the Walker Trust saying, “I am very grateful for this scholarship and all that the Foundation does. As a medical student, it is great to know that there are a lot of people rooting for me, and even people I have never met, willing to support me financially. The feeling of community and support from the people of Wisconsin and the Wisconsin Medical Society Foundation is one of the many reasons I cannot imagine working anywhere else. It was touching to read Dr. Walker’s story. In the future I hope to give back to the communities of Wisconsin and future medical students like Dr. Walker was able to do through this scholarship. Once again thank you for your generosity!”
Named scholarship funds currently administered by the Foundation include:
- Victor A. Baylon, MD, Scholarship, established with donations in memory of Dr. Baylon.
- Goodman-Goodell Scholarship, established by Maurice Goodman, Jr.
- Robert Jason Gore Scholarship, established by Dr. Donald and Jacquelyn Gore in memory of their grandson, who was killed in Iraq.
- Amy Hunter-Wilson, MD, Scholarship, established by an estate gift from Dr. Hunter-Wilson.
- John D. and Virginia Riesch Scholarship, established by Dr. and Mrs. Riesch through a charitable donation from his Individual Retirement Account.
- Catherine Slota-Varma, MD, Scholarship, established by Dr. Slota-Varma, through a bequest in her will.
- Rukmini and Joyce Vasudevan Scholarship, established by Sridhar Vasudevan, MD, to honor his wife and mother.
- Edmund J. and Estelle D. Walker Scholarship, established by Thomas Walker, MD, as a trust to provide an annual distribution to the Foundation for scholarships in memory of his parents.
- Marathon County Medical Society Scholarship, supported by annual donations from the county medical society and its members.
- Jefferson County Medical Society Scholarship, established by a gift from Jefferson County Medical Society
Click here to view a complete list of this year’s scholarship recipients and join us in congratulating and encouraging them.
For information on how you can establish a named scholarship award fund, contact Foundation Director Eileen Wilson at 608.442.3722.